Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow!

J. ALEXANDER, I'M FORTY-SOMETHING!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Gallery Night 2014

Hi people.  It's been a while, but Blk-Art*History & Culture continues to move forward.  Check out the video from October Gallery Night, 2014.  We hosted artists Rhonda Gatlin Hayes (mixed media) and Ruthie Joy, October 17 & 18.  We had a steady flow of guests the entire time. We even sold some art!!!!  Blk-Art also did a talk for an Art Class at Wisconsin Lutheran College, highlighting "An Artful Life."  We worked with Sam's Hope Literacy and the Milwaukee Bucks once again, hosting nearly 500 kids at Discovery World on the Lake Front.  The kids were so excited.  Nearly the entire Bucks team was present, but once "Bango" (the mascot) showed up, the kids lost their mind!!!!  It was awesome.   Then Blk-Art went to check out the film "Dear White People" which I highly recommend seeing for it's insightfulness and boldness.  you can go to www.fandago.com to view clips and get show times.  But I think the opportunity to see the Broadway Production of The Lion King was my favorite highlight of the last two months and that's not to under score the opportunity for Blk-Art* History & Culture to see the Powerhouse Production of The Color Purple which was totally fantastic, but I've always want to see The Lion King!!!! I'd seen The Color Purple before. 
Up next for Blk-Art*History & Culture is a quiet holiday season and then our partnership with the Milwaukee Public Library System gets underway for Black History Month 2015 with the Black Cinema Screening of Black Power Mixed-Tape 1967-1975  at the Washington Park Library location, and hosting a "Black History Documentation Collage" workshop with guest artist, Rhonda Gatlin Hayes, at the Central Library location.
As for me personally,  I'm enjoying the new television series "Black-ish,"  with a wonderful cast and very funny story lines.  I love teaching my Pathways after school program.  The students are great and keep me on my toes.  I continue to hit the gym at least 3 times a week no matter what!  I am fighting with these last 5/6 stubborn pounds, but I plan to win the fight!!!!!!  I am really enjoying my drawing class and holding on to a solid "B" which amazes me.  I am learning so much in my Theology class about keeping the faith, I love it.  I have to write a paper on an artist drawing and I've chosen Aaron Douglas' 1936 painting "Into Bondage." No matter what I do, I am always trying to incorporate Blk-Art into the mix!
So there you have it folks.  Life is good.  Enjoy your blessings and be a blessing!  Enjoy the holiday season.  It's getting colder everyday and snow flurries are on the scene, please be kind to the homeless and check on the elderly!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment