Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow!

J. ALEXANDER, I'M FORTY-SOMETHING!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Summer of 2014



The Summer of 2014 has been a wonderfully pleasant summer!  Photo #1 is the Beautiful Garden I helped look after.  I watered and cut the grass and even had an opportunity to lay in the sun for a bit and read my summer book, The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond, a young adult book (by Brenda Woods) about an 11 year old biracial girl whose African American father dies and is raised by her white side of the family.  She begins to ask questions and is finally introduced to her black side of the family and the pieces of her life start to come together. Excellent book.  Photo #2 is of myself and Artist Muneer at his his studio.  I took my class on a field trip to his studio and I will post a few photos of that next time.  Muneer gave a wonderful talk and the students enjoyed it.  Photo #3 is myself in front of the Art Institute Of Chicago (8/23).  My good friend from DC was here for my birthday weekend and we took the train to Chicago to check out the African Art Collection at the Art Institute and then headed to China Town where we found some fabulous treasures!!!! And had a delicious meal.
I had friends over for a little birthday celebration which turned out to be a Japanese theme dispite the Chocolate Raspberry cake.  I recieved a wonderful book of Japanese art (over 500 pages. I absolutely love it), a beautiful Japanese print (that I can't wait to frame), a beautiful book on Sushi and a set of 5 pairs of chop sticks with Gesiha on them.  I love it. I also received a Kimono style robe.  I already tried to wear it, but I got to hot!  Hot Flashes, but I am sure it will be perfect in the fall and winter! No I am not rushing the seasons. 
I also spent time with some other friends checking out the Kandinsky exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum.  I worked the Morning Glory Art Festival, but did not get the opportunity to check out any other festivals this summer.  I spent most of my summer enjoying summer as I worked on details for the opening of "Gallery NO: 105" it is coming along.
I also have been planning for Blk-Art*History & Culture to host the 2014 October Gallery Night freaturing Artist Rhonda Gatlin Hayes and Artist Ruthie Joy. We are also working really hard to get the rights to this film I want to show for 2015 Black History Month at the Washington Park Library.  I started back to school on Monday (8/25).  A drawing class and another Theology class.  I start back teaching in October so I plan to finish up as much as I can regarding "Gallery NO: 105," opening in June of 2015!!!  I've also been catching up on some films I've been wanting to see and a few favorites are "Twenty Steps From Stardom" absolutely Fabulous, "Mother Of George" which was really good, but the lighting threw me off  and "Frankie & Alice" starring Halle Berry who fought to get this film made, excellent film.  I took one of my favorite students to see the film "Get On Up" about James Brown.  Very, very good. So pleased to be able spend some one one time with one of my students. I am looking forward to purchasing a copy of my absolute favorite film this year "Belle" which came out on DVD 8/26.
Yes, I've been consistently hitting the gym at least 3 times per week and have been able to keep the menopausal weight gain in check.  It is a struggle people, a fight I intend to keep fighting!!!! 
Enjoy the rest of your summer, enjoy your blessings and be a blessing to someone else.  Be kind to the homeless and eldery!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment