Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow!

J. ALEXANDER, I'M FORTY-SOMETHING!

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Moving Forward

2015 is turning out to be very productive thus far.  Is everything perfect? Not by a long shot, but things are very good! Blk-Art-History & Culture was very busy during Black History Month.  We did our workshop at Central Library with guest artist, Rhonda Gatlin Hayes, we screened Black Power Mixed Tape 1967-1975 at the Washington Park Library, did a King installation and a Black History Month installation at the Wisconsin Lutheran College Library and took my student mentee, Keyana to the Milwaukee Art Museum twice for special events related to the exhibition: Inspiring Beauty 50 years of Ebony Fashion Fair (on view until May 3, 2015). Also checked out the film SELMA, excellent . Congratulations to John Legend and Common for the 2014/2015 Academy winning song "Glory." We also worked with Sam's Hope Literacy and the Milwaukee Bucks once again at the Bradley Center for the 2015 Book Blast, the kids were so well behaved and had so much fun that I had fun!

Taking the semester off was an excellent decision.  I've been working hard preparing for the opening of GALLERY NO: 105. We open our doors June 4th and I am very excited.  Right now I've got 15 artists on board, including works of art in wood, ceramics, fiber, painting, mixed media, sculpture, jewelry, glass, clothing & handbags. I also have a few additional activities lined up to keep the gallery moving.  I am even excited about purchasing bags and tissue paper for the gallery!!!!! I am loving this whole process! We have our business cards printed and in hand and next up we will be working on our promo post card. I will post it as soon as it's ready.

Yes in deed, I've been hitting the gym and loving my workouts! Down 11 pounds and 6 inches.  I've had a terrible sinus infection which prevented me from working out a few times, but I am pleased with the progress and will be sticking to my guns on the matter.  I am challenging myself to log 1000 miles and burn 25,000 calories this year. This challenge has kept me motivated and I only have 4 or 5 pounds to go to reach my goal. It's hard to believe how the weight crept up. I can actually see where the fat has burned off and feel so much more comfortable in my clothes.  As I've always said, "if you fall of the wagon, just get back on" that's all there is to it. I know it's easier said than done, but you can do it!!!

My trip to DC has been cancelled, but for a good cause.  I still plan to spend the day in Chicago checking out the exhibition, Jazz Modernist/Archibald Motely, at the Chicago Cultural Center and then hit Chinatown for lunch and to look for some treasures.  I'm reading a book "The House Girl" which I hope to finish up in the next couple of weeks (it's a slow read) because I am so looking forward to Toni Morrison's new book "God Help The Child" out April 21st.  I'll read on the train. We are in the process of planning another workshop for Blk-Art-History & Culture and will keep you posted.

In the mean time, I am off today and the weather is beautiful!!!!! Spring is fast approaching and I am certainly happy about that!  So enjoy your blessings and be a blessing to someone, look out for the elderly and homeless!

No comments:

Post a Comment